Saturday, January 10, 2009

BFF



Over 103 human-years old.

Please scroll through "Older Posts" for more videos.

I haven't posted for months because I was having too much fun with my boy after his surgery and didn't feel the need to write. He was himself after recuperating for a few weeks and life was normal once again. His beautiful fur grew back to cover his scars. But suddenly on Xmas, he took an unexpected turn for the worst and couldn't recover. Though his cancer didn't spread to his lungs as we feared, it did make it's way to his liver. His doctors and I did what we could to make him comfortable as he declined, and finally, two days ago, he peacefully died in my arms. It was a profound experience.

He lived nearly 8 months after his diagnosis and surgery. Such a strong, valiant boy. I hope he felt it worth it as much as I did. I hope he knew how much I loved him. Maybe it was all for me that he suffered through such hardship and maybe I was selfish for having him endure recovery. But he thrived afterward and I gratefully did my best to make him happy. I wouldn't change a thing, except give him even more prime rib bones.

We had more time together and that's what it was all about.

1 comment:

drreneigh said...

I am very sorry for your loss of your special friend. I whole-heartedly believe he thought the "fight" was worth it-I think you, as his constant companion, would have known if he was giving up. I know your life will feel so empty for awhile, but be comforted knowing he is at peace-and knowing everything you did to provide him such an awesome life. As a veterinarian myself, I certainly know how rare that is. Come see my blog sometime:
www.mypetslivewithavet.com
Peace,
DrReneigh