Monday, June 23, 2008

day 18 post-surgery

It's nearly 3 weeks since surgery. This has been pretty hard on Mr. B~more than what shows, as of course you never know the extent of it with an animal. I understand bone cancer is unimaginably painful, so at least that part of it's gone. He's had a steep learning curve and his muscles must be pretty sore. So much of a pug's weight is on the front and now the stress to his front leg must be tremendous. He is still pretty subdued, needy and depressed. But physically, he's doing better every day. He'll follow me around the house, especially if there's the possibility of food. But outside, won't move from spot to spot, and only yesterday started becoming interested in smelling the area.

I have actually tried crawling on "all threes" to get an idea of what it must be like. For me it wasn't too bad bad of course, but I know it's very hard and awkward for him.

It's hard not feeling guilty, but I am willing (?) to have him go through this in the hopes of a better future. The alternative was unthinkable. I felt he was worth a second chance.

Tomorrow hopefully he'll get his E. collar off, though I am concerned as he still stumbles and sometimes lands on his chin, I don't want his eye to get more damaged as it's on the same side as his "non-leg".

No comments: